Irritable bowel syndrome or spastic colon is a health disorder that affects the colon or large intestine. This painful condition can strike anyone at any time. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a chronic condition that requires long-term management. Remedies for irritable bowel syndrome focus on providing relief from symptoms such as pain and abdominal cramps.
IBS causes pain and discomfort but does not cause permanent damage to the intestinal tissues. Since there is no known cure for IBS, those affected by it will need to make changes in their diet and lifestyle to control its symptoms. Women are more prone to IBS than men.
Symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome
Bloating, stomach cramps, diarrhea, and constipation are some common symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Irritable bowel syndrome affects as many as one in five adults in the country. IBS affects a patient’s digestion and causes abdominal pain and changes in normal bowel function. There can be many triggers for IBS such as stress, unhealthy eating habits, irregular meal timings, indiscriminate caffeine consumption, or side effects of medicines.
Top ten home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome
So far, there is no single remedy or treatment for irritable bowel syndrome. However, there are numerous remedies for irritable bowel syndrome that help combat its symptoms. Here is a list of top ten home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. Before following these remedies, it is best to consult your physician.
- Slippery elm extract: Native Americans have used this herbal supplement for several generations. It soothes the intestinal lining and relieves diarrheal symptoms. It is available in bottles as a therapeutic extract. You should mix a teaspoon of this extract in a glass of warm water.
- Green tea: It is rich in antioxidants and has a relaxing effect on the intestines and colon. You can make a glass of green tea and have it along with two drops of freshly squeezed lime.
- Kefir: Kefir is similar to yogurt, only it is made from goat’s milk. You can have a cup of kefir along with your meals or in between meals. It is an excellent remedy for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Aloe vera juice: Aloe vera has medicinal properties that can cure stomach related ailments. It is considered one of the most effective remedies for irritable bowel syndrome. You should blend the thick gel of aloe vera and consume it on a daily basis to get relief from symptoms of IBS.
- Marshmallow roots: Marshmallow can effectively cure inflammation in the stomach lining, and persistent diarrhea. Boil a teaspoon of marshmallow root powder in water, and let it simmer for around 10 minutes. Strain this mixture and add a teaspoon of honey to the concoction.
- Fennel seeds: Many herbal medicines use fennel seeds to cure digestive issues like flatulence, heartburn, etc. Boil 2 teaspoons of fennel seeds in one glass of water. Keep this mixture for 10 minutes and strain it. Drink this before and after a meal. Continue consuming it until you see results.
- Pomegranate juice: Pomegranate is an excellent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory agent. Extract the juice of two ripe pomegranates and drink it daily for best results. Pomegranate juice is one of the best remedies for irritable bowel syndrome.
- Gentian root powder: Gentian roots aid in digestion and cure gastrointestinal issues as well. You should boil one teaspoon of gentian root powder with a glass of water. Let this mixture sit for around 10 minutes. Then, strain it and add a teaspoon of honey. Consume this concoction 15 minutes before a meal until you achieve good results.
- Fresh garlic: Garlic has healing effects on the digestive system. Peel and crush 4-5 garlic cloves. Add this to boiling water and allow it to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add honey to the filtered garlic water and consume for a few weeks.
- Probiotics: Consumption of probiotics has a soothing effect on the gut. The levels of good gut bacteria decrease due to intestinal disorders. Hence, you must have probiotics to restore the balance. Yogurt is probiotic food that you can eat regularly.
Apart from home remedies, external factors like stress, unhealthy eating habits, and irregular meal times also act as triggers for IBS.
Effective stress management strategies like yoga, meditation, or simple breathing techniques can minimize the occurrence of IBS due to stress. It is vital to evaluate the events that lead to a flare-up. For instance, if you have an IBS flare-up before an important meeting at work, then you need to combat your stress levels to ensure that such episodes do not occur in the future.
Maintain healthy eating habits and regular meal timings. At the same time, avoid fried, salty or spicy food.
Following a strict diet and maintaining an active lifestyle helps in preventing the occurrence of IBS symptoms to a great extent. Simple home remedies for irritable bowel syndrome are highly effective in reducing symptoms such as discomfort and pain.