One of the most crucial micronutrients for our body is magnesium. Now you may ask what a micronutrient is. It is a chemical substance or compound which is required in trace amounts for the normal running of the body. Magnesium, being one of the many micronutrients essential to our body, is present in various sources that we intake daily. But unfortunately, due to most food being processed, naturally occurring magnesium is mostly not sufficient for the needs of the average body. Hence, many people are suffering from magnesium deficiency in the present times and need the best magnesium supplements.
Why is magnesium essential?
Magnesium plays a key role in protein synthesis, thus supporting the DNA structure, aiding in muscle relaxation and contraction, regulating blood sugar and blood pressure, and controlling neurons (the most basic unit of our entire nervous system). In case you are facing health issues related to any of these areas, it is most probable that you have a magnesium deficiency.
However, it is tricky to diagnose magnesium deficiency, but a good indicator is if you are suffering from fatigues, aches, migraines, mood changes, severe PMS, irregular sleep, heart and digestive troubles, depression, brain fog or anxiety.
Magnesium cannot be ingested on its own by the body. It always is ingested as a compound with some other substances, leading to different therapeutic values and absorption rates. Thus knowing that you have a magnesium deficiency is not enough, knowing which form of magnesium to ingest to overcome the deficiency is equally important. Only then will you be able to understand the best magnesium supplement for yourself.
Best magnesium supplements
- Magnesium chloride: Magnesium chloride is the most widely and easily available and needless to say best magnesium supplement due to its solubility in water. The method of ingestion is spraying on the body as well as baths. This form of ingestion is excellent for detoxification.
- Magnesium glycinate: This is another of the best magnesium supplement available. For those suffering from digestive (particularly lower tract) and nerve pain, this is an easily absorbed form of magnesium. This is ideal for those who want to boost magnesium that is deficit due to stress.
- Magnesium malate: Malate is recommended for people with low energy, muscle pain, fatigue, and fibromyalgia. Besides, the combination of malic acid and magnesium is an excellent one to energize the body.
- Magnesium water: Simply having a glass of water with magnesium dissolved in it after a meal makes for a great way for the body to absorb magnesium. It is a hassle-free method of magnesium intake and thus a contender for the best magnesium supplement.
- Magnesium oxide: Commonly found in the currently trending ‘multivitamin’ pills, this form is for those who wish to balance the magnesium levels in the body. For those with a deficiency, this method will be less effective but worth trying out.
- Magnesium threonate: Believed to be able to penetrate cell walls, threonate makes for an excellent source of magnesium absorption due to the above fact. It is recommended for people with depression, anxiety, PTSD, brain injuries, and other neurological issues.
- Magnesium sulfate: Famous by its colloquial name of ‘Epsom Salts’, this is one of the most endearing ways for magnesium to be absorbed within the body. It is digested by the body in small doses. Although it is not the best magnesium supplement, it is still worth giving a shot as it is considered good for people with aching muscle soreness and those with sensitive immune systems.
- Magnesium citrate: This form of ingestion should be used only for the short term, and then too in the specific instance for the patients suffering from constipation or restless leg syndrome during pregnancy. Long-term use of citrates results in the lowering of the body’s ceruloplasmin levels which are vital for regulating iron and copper within the body. Besides, this form of magnesium also contains trace amounts of arsenic and therefore it is better to use it under strict medical guidance.
- Magnesium-rich oils: These are tried and tested methods of upping the magnesium levels in the body. Be cautious, however, as for some users the oils can leave a burning sensation after application. For those who have a persistent problem with burning, the magnesium oil can be substituted with magnesium lotion. This grants a lower rate of magnesium absorption but without the burning sensation.
Magnesium is essential for the proper functioning of the body and a drop in the magnesium level can result in serious physiological, psychological, and neurological issues. Magnesium absorption also can be aided by the presence of other substances like vitamin B6, boron, selenium, potassium, vitamin D, and vitamin K2. Micronutrients such as magnesium are necessary for the body and regular checkups along with a little self-diagnosis will go a long way in ensuring your health and longevity.