Wisdom tooth pain can be quite distressing, and many people are unable to bear it. However, it is not necessary to remove the wisdom tooth to get rid of the pain. Moreover, if you have a busy schedule, you may find it difficult to get a dentist’s appointment for extracting the wisdom tooth. If you are looking for ways to get some relief from the wisdom tooth pain, then you must read the tips given below.
- Warm salt water rinse: Whether you are awaiting your appointment or are looking for home remedies to deal with wisdom tooth pain, this tip always helps. It is one of the easiest ways to get relief from wisdom tooth pain. Pour about eight ounces of warm water in a glass and mix two tablespoons of salt with it. Rinse your mouth with this mixture for as long as you can stand the taste of salt. Then, spit it out. Repeat this process several times a day to get relief from the pain.
- Apply ice: At times, the pain in the wisdom tooth can also be a result of swelling. Applying an ice pack can help ease the pain. You can find ice bags in the market, or you can make one by putting the ice in a baggie. To minimize the freezing effect, you can wrap it inside of a towel and apply it to the area where you experience pain. This tip helps reduce the inflammation and provides relief from wisdom tooth pain.
- Clove: Several traditional medicine systems use cloves to provide relief from a toothache. Clove has anesthetic properties due to which it numbs the pain away. Moreover, since it has antibacterial as well as antiseptic properties, it prevents infections as well.
Take some clove oil and put it on a cotton ball. Hold this cotton ball on the tooth and gums where you are experiencing the pain. Continue holding it there until the pain goes away. Note that clove oil has a strong flavor, and not everyone can stand it. If you wish to reduce its taste, you can mix clove oil with olive oil. You can repeat this treatment several times a day to get relief from wisdom tooth pain.
- Onion: This lesser-known treatment option is quite effective at relieving toothache. Onions contain phytochemicals which target the germs that cause inflammation, and thus, they give you some much-needed relief from pain. You should chew on a raw onion to get relief from wisdom tooth pain. The juice of the onion should penetrate the problematic areas. Moreover, the onion has to be pungent for this treatment to be effective. While this may seem a little daunting, the results are worth it. If you are having trouble in chewing, then you can hold the onion next to the painful area.
- Cucumber slices: This remedy tastes better than the one stated above, and it is equally effective. If you cannot use the onion remedy, then you can try cucumber slices instead. Cucumber slices are great for getting relief from wisdom tooth pain. While they do not have the property of fighting infections, they are quite helpful in relieving the pain. All you have to do is take a cucumber and cut it into thin slices. Place these slices in the refrigerator. Whenever you experience tooth pain, place a slice of cucumber directly on the affected area. The coolness of the cucumber slice takes away all the pain and soothes the area.
- Tea bags: Sometimes, swollen gums can cause pain around the wisdom tooth. In such cases, tea bags can be a great remedy. Tea has components with anti-inflammatory properties, which is why it is included in a lot of home remedies as well. You can brew the tea and keep it in the fridge. Leave the tea bag inside the cup. Once it cools down, you can place the bag inside your mouth. This tip will reduce the swelling and is excellent to get relief from wisdom tooth pain.
- Peppermint: If you are facing wisdom teeth pain, then peppermint is a great option. It has anesthetic properties that remove infection-causing bacteria from your mouth. Moreover, peppermint also has a fresh aroma. You can take some peppermint leaves and directly place them on the affected area. Keep it there for 20 minutes to get relief from the pain. Another option is to take peppermint extract and put some drops on a cotton swab before applying it on your teeth.
Thus, with the help of the tips mentioned above, you can get relief from wisdom tooth pain. You can choose one of these remedies according to what suits you the best.