We all like living a healthy and happy life, and for that, we have to keep our body and health in good condition. One of the most important organs in the body is our heart. A healthy heart is indispensable for living life to the fullest. Apart from exercising daily, dietary habits are equally important to keep the heart healthy. One can include the following food items for a healthy heart in their diet as it will improve their overall health and not lead to any side effects.
Following are some food items that are indispensable to a good and healthy heart. You must try and opt for the organic variants of these foods, if possible:
- Oatmeal: Gym-goers often opt for oatmeal because of its high protein content, and at the same time, it is also a good option for those people who want to keep heart-related problems away by staying fit. It is rich in soluble fiber which lowers the risk of cholesterol significantly. One can either add some sugar or salt to it or use some other spices for flavor.
- Berries: While most people know that blueberries are amongst the few food items that promote a healthy heart, only a few know that other berries like raspberries and strawberries are equally good. Consuming blueberries on a regular basis lowers the risk of heart-related problems by more than 30% in comparison to those who don’t consume berries at all.
- Dark chocolate: Most of us like eating chocolate. Only a few stay away from it, and that too, because of medical reasons. However, everyone needs to know that dark chocolate is good for the health of the heart. Dark chocolate has flavonoids called polyphenols which aid in maintaining regular blood pressure levels and prevent blood clotting. However, other types of chocolates such as milk bars do not provide the same benefits.
- Nuts: Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and macadamia nuts are superfoods that aid in maintaining a healthy heart. The fiber content of these nuts is what makes them the favorite of folks who are concerned about the health of their heart. The vitamin E in these nuts help to keep one’s cholesterol levels in check. Moreover, nuts are healthy for people of all age groups.
- Potatoes: While potatoes are a rich source of starch, one should not avoid their consumption. They are suitable for maintaining a healthy body and mind unless you have it in the fried form. The potassium content of potatoes helps control high blood pressure significantly, while the fiber content is good for a healthy heart.
- Fruits: Fruits are one of the healthiest foods to exist. Different fruits serve different purposes, and when it comes to the heart, one should opt for citrus fruits. Citrus fruits are rich in vitamin C which is quite essential to lower the risks associated with heart diseases. The best method to consume citrus fruits is to eat them ripe or take them in the form of fresh juices. If you are in the habit of drinking processed fruit juices, then you should start checking their sugar content. Excess sugar can lead to several health problems.
- Soy: One can consume soy in several forms such as soy milk, tofu, and the dishes prepared from these items. It is an excellent source of protein and is preferred by bodybuilders as well. Soy contains fiber and polyunsaturated fats which are suitable for maintaining a healthy body and vitamins which promote the overall health of an individual. It is crucial as it helps reduce high blood pressure which eventually keeps other heart-related diseases at bay.
Some other foods for a healthy heart are green tea, olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, avocados, and so on. The list is endless, so you don’t have to worry about having the same set of foods over and over again. If someone does not have fruits and vegetables often, they can opt for several animal-based food sources that can help with maintaining a healthy heart. Here are some food items that non-vegans can consume to ensure that they have a healthy heart:
- Salmon: Salmon fish contains omega-3 fatty acids which are indispensable to maintain the health of the heart. Some studies also prove that the nutrients in the fish help individuals deal with irregular heartbeats as well. Some other fish that one can consume for the same purpose are mackerel and sardines.
- Liver: Liver is also good for a healthy heart. It contains many essential ingredients that improve the health of the heart.
Also, freshly-made chicken, pork, and lean beef are good for one’s health, but one must consume these in controlled amounts as per their required calorie intake. Keep an eye on the fat content in these ingredients as well.