Restless legs syndrome is a very poorly understood disorder. It affects the nerves and causes several problems while you sleep. It includes twitching, burning, pain triggers, crawling, and tingling in the legs at night! Such is the sensation that sparks a desperate need to move your legs. This can cause serious sleeping disorders in intense cases. Putting aside its unpleasantness, it is a challenge to manage its symptoms. It has a tendency to sabotage the quality of life as it seeps into your sleep cycle. It affects over 10% of the population in the country and requires immediate attention in order to live a healthy and fulfilling life. Here are a few effective home remedies for restless legs syndrome.
- The best thing you can do at times is to keep your mind distracted. If you think about how the condition is going to hinder the activities of your life, it will have a greater impact than it already does. Do activities that will keep your mind at ease. Anxiety can worsen the condition so do not take any unnecessary stress. Stimulate your mind by solving puzzles, reading, knitting, or having meaningful conversations. If you let the condition take over your mind, it is likely to have a greater impact on the quality of your life than it already does. This is one of the best home remedies for restless legs syndrome.
- Train your brain to accept the symptoms of this condition. There is no need to panic before its onset. You may be in bed at night and anticipate the consequences of the condition. Train your mind to be calm during extreme situations and stress-free. There are several programs available for the same. If you are mentally prepared for the condition, it is likely that it will improve your sleep cycle and quality of life.
- Exercise can help ease the symptoms of the condition. You need to figure out where exactly it hurts. Lower leg exercises help considerably. Massaging or rubbing the legs eases the tension as well. You can also wear compression stockings an hour before you sleep. It is considered one of the best home remedies for restless legs syndrome.
- Avoid smoking, caffeine, and alcohol. Those who do not smoke and do not drink alcohol experience fewer symptoms and lead a better life. Try to avoid drinking after 6 pm. It is advised to quit caffeine as well.
- Taking hot or cold baths may help you. It may take your mind off the condition and have a relaxing and calming effect on the mind. You can alternate between taking hot and cold baths, add Epsom salt or hydrogen peroxide to your bath, or take foot baths. Do whatever suits you best and relaxes the mind.
- However silly this may sound, keeping a bar of soap under your pillow may actually help! Some people even hold on to a bar of soap while sleeping. It helps reduce nocturnal sleep cramps. It is not known whether it is a placebo effect on the mind or whether it actually works, what matters is that it is effective in many cases. It is possible that the aroma of soap triggers a positive effect on the mind and enables it to relax while sleeping.
- Changing your sleeping posture is also another way in which you can treat restless legs syndrome. Do not sleep in a position which forces your toes to point. This may happen if your bedding is tight and focused around your legs. Keep your bedding as loose as possible and try to prop your feet up as high as possible. This prevents contracting and triggering of muscle cramps.
- Some studies suggest that having intercourse could be a way of controlling the symptoms of restless legs syndrome. The process of reaching an orgasm relieves the mind and helps it feel relaxed and divert it from stressful activities.
While there are several medications available in the market that are quite effective, it is advisable to restrain their use. They have several side effects that could include brain fog, dry mouth, weight gain, and fatigue. They may be effective in the short term, but in the long run, their power might not last. The older you get, the worse the symptoms might become. Therefore, it is better to find alternative treatment methods such as various home remedies for restless legs syndrome. These will help you manage the symptoms of the condition and help you in the long run as well. Restless legs are an issue which must be looked into right away, so do not hesitate and get yourself treated immediately! If the problem is severe, do consult a doctor.