When the prostate cells divide and multiply abnormally, it causes the organ to get enlarged in size. The benign prostatic enlargement (BPE) is also known as benign prostatic hyperplasia or BPH. A person, who is affected by enlarged prostate experiences difficulties in the urinal and sexual activities. These issues may decrease the affected person’s overall quality of life. Various enlarged prostate treatment options are available which include medications, lifestyle changes, natural remedies, and in critical cases, surgery. Well, before taking any kind of medication, it is always advisable to consult a medical expert. Here is a list of some of the natural ways along with some healthy lifestyle changes that can help to ease the enlarged prostate symptoms.
The following lifestyle tips are a major part of the prostate enlargement treatment:
- Eating fruits and such foods that are rich in fiber will help you in avoiding constipation. Constipation can put extra pressure on your bladder and can worsen the enlarged prostate symptoms.
- It is better not to go to sleep with a full bladder. Hence, you should avoid drinking fluids 1 or 2 hours prior to your bedtime.
- Make a habit of drinking at least 2 liters of water on a regular basis. Also, as much as you need to stay hydrated, make sure not to drink too much water at one go.
- Having regular exercise is another important part of the treatment of enlarged prostate. You should learn how to maintain a healthy body weight.
- Double voiding can help you in dealing with this condition. While visiting the bathroom, after urinating once, try to urinate again after a few minutes just to drain the bladder as much as you can.
- You can use absorbent urinary pants or pads that can absorb the urine leaks. It will also help to reduce the discomfort caused by wetness.
- After urinating, gently press your fingers upwards from the scrotum base. This urethral massage will help to squeeze out any urine left in the urethra. It will help to prevent any urine leakage later.
- Urinary sheaths are condom-shaped products that fit over the penis. This product can be used to drain the urine into a small bag that is strapped to the leg.
- Limit drinking fizzy drinks along with drinks containing caffeine (like coffee, cola, or tea), artificial sweeteners, and alcohol. These types of drinks can cause irritation to the bladder making the symptoms worse.
Natural remedies to treat enlarged prostate
Along with the aforementioned lifestyle changes, here are some natural remedies that can help in the treatment of an enlarged prostate.
- Green tea
It contains catechins, the antioxidants that help in enhancing your immune system along with slowing down prostate cancer progression. However, green tea has caffeine in it that can make the symptoms of the enlarged prostate worse. Hence, consult a healthcare professional regarding taking green tea.
This naturally occurring pigment can be found in many vegetables and fruits and it helps in slowing down the BPH progression. Hence, including fruits and vegetables that are rich in lycopene to your diet is necessary. Some lycopene sources are tomatoes, red cabbage, carrots, papaya, watermelon, red bell peppers, pink grapefruit, apricots etc.
- Saw palmetto
This is one of the most popular and most studied herbal supplements that is used for treating an enlarged prostate. It inhibits testosterone production and helps in reducing the inner lining size of the prostate.
- Pumpkin seed (Cucurbita pepo)
It contains a compound called beta-sitosterol that is found in some plants and is similar to cholesterol. Some medical study reports have reflected the fact that this beta-sitosterol compound improves the urine flow. Thus, after urination, not much urine will be left in the bladder.
- Babassu (Orbignya speciosa)
It is palm tree species that is native to Brazil. According to some medical research reports, the oil made from the babassu nuts inhibits testosterone production. Moreover, the other parts of the nut have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
This African plum extract has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. A few medical studies have indicated the fact that consuming 100 mg to 200 mg of this pygeum extract on a regular basis may help in reducing the symptoms of BPH. You can split this dosage into 50-mg dosages as well and then consume it.
Mostly, the seafood, poultry along with some nuts and seeds like pumpkin and sesame contain zinc. Adding these zinc-rich foods will actually help you to prevent the prostate enlargement symptoms.
Apart from the above-mentioned natural remedies, some other popular options that help in treating enlarged prostate are stinging nettle, Cernilton, and ZSP (Zi-Shen Pill). To get the right treatment for this condition, get an appointment with the doctor and maintain a healthy diet along with taking the necessary medications.