The prostate gland has a direct relationship with pelvic organs such as the rectum, bladder, and pelvic muscles along with the central nervous system. If you are facing the symptoms of enlarged prostate including frequent urination, urinary leakage, and urinary tract infections, among others, then it is vital to seek different remedies. Men with enlarged prostate also suffer from symptoms of anxiety, depression, and even insomnia.
Initially, it is best to seek the opinion of a medical professional to establish the extent of the condition. In some cases, the enlargement of the prostate is indicative of an underlying health issue. Thus, it is essential to fully evaluate the treatment options for enlarged prostate before opting for natural treatments.
Natural treatments for an enlarged prostate
If your problem is at the initial stage and is not yet severe, treatment options may include acupuncture, prostate massage, herbal and nutritional supplements, medical hypnosis, and relaxation. However, if your condition is advanced, then you should depend upon the advice of an experienced health professional. Sometimes, surgeries may be required to remove excess prostate tissue. This procedure is vital to restore full urinary functioning. The traditional treatment, however, includes pharmaceutical medicines that help to alleviate the symptoms and address the root cause of the enlarged prostate.
Keep in mind that these medicines may have potential side effects. So, it is best to opt for natural treatments for an enlarged prostate. These include:
Adjustments in lifestyle
It is only through improvement in your lifestyle that can you address the problem. Here are some natural lifestyle changes that can help with the treatment of an enlarged prostate:
- Shedding extra weight
- Eating a healthy diet which is rich in antioxidants
- Consuming lots of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains
- Increasing the intake of leafy, dark vegetables, and tomatoes
- Consuming products that contain phytoestrogens, such as soy foods, chickpeas, alfalfa, and fava beans
- Avoiding red meat, starchy refined foods, carbonated drinks, and nicotine
- Minimizing alcohol consumption to approximately two drinks per day
- Reducing caffeine consumption
- Consuming minimum water right before bedtime
- Staying hydrated by drinking at least two liters of water daily
- Walking regularly
- Incorporating a healthy exercise schedule
- Learning yoga techniques for reducing the size of the prostate
Exploring herbal options
- Saw palmetto is one of the most common herbal treatments for an enlarged prostate. According to anecdotal evidence, saw palmetto is a natural and effective treatment option for men with an enlarged prostate.
- Another herbal remedy for an enlarged prostate is red clover. These are high in antioxidants that have the inherent property to protect the prostate. It can also help to prevent prostate cancer.
- Pygeum is known to contain a range of fatty acids and sterols such as beta-sitosterol. These have an anti-inflammatory effect and thus aid in reducing the size of an enlarged prostate. Taking around 100 mg and 200 mg of pygeum extract twice in a day can reduce the symptoms.
- Stinging nettle contains a blend of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds as pygeum and saw palmetto. Men can use stinging nettle along with saw palmetto to treat an enlarged prostate.
- Consume Zi-Shen Pill (ZSP), which contains a unique mixture of various plants, including Chinese cinnamon that seeks to alleviate the symptoms.
- Zinc is a significant element which contributes to prostate health. It is known to have a positive effect on enlarged prostate as well as inflamed prostate. Research points out that a deficiency of zinc can enlarge the prostate. Thus, raising serum zinc levels in the blood will help to reverse the problem. One can take nearly 50 to 100 milligrams of zinc supplements per day to reduce the symptoms of an enlarged prostate. Consuming at least 15 milligrams per day is known to prevent the condition from coming back. Some sources of zinc are poultry, seafood, and many types of seeds and nuts, such as sesame and pumpkin.
- An evaluation of herbal studies pointed out that rye grass pollen extract, which is made from three types of grass pollen, rye, corn, and Timothy, helps in reducing symptoms.
- Lycopene is a naturally occurring pigment found in many fruits and vegetables. Studies reveal that it may help slow the progression of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia, a disease that causes an excessively enlarged prostate. Natural sources of lycopene are watermelon, guava, carrot, apricots, bell peppers, and red cabbage.
- Pumpkin seeds contain beta-sitosterol, which is a compound found in some plants. Beta-sitosterol improves urine flow and reduces the amount of urine left in the bladder after urination.
- Green tea has a lot of antioxidants that enhance the immune system and is effective as a natural treatment option for an enlarged prostate.
These natural treatment options mentioned above can aid in reducing the symptoms of this condition. Adjustments to your dietary habits and lifestyle, and incorporating herbal ingredients in your diet can also provide relief from an enlarged prostate.