The best hair regrowth products in the market address the root cause of the problem and they have to be used on a regular basis. Hair loss can take place due to genetic reasons, age or side effects from medications being used to treat other health problems.
Reasons for hair loss
Before exploring the best hair regrowth products it is important to find the underlying causes of hair loss. Understanding the cause can help in picking the most effective amongst the thinning hair solutions.
- Genetic: Hair loss could be hereditary if the problems of hair thinning and balding can be traced to your parents as well as your grandparents. In such cases, hair loss is in your DNA. In such cases, there is not much you can do.
- Hormonal: When the follicles in your hair are highly sensitive to dihydrotestosterone (DHT), this could lead to thinning of hair and can cause baldness.
- Other factors: Other factors for hair loss include stress, alcohol, smoking as well as certain medications.
Best hair regrowth products for men and women
- Ultrax Labs: Hair Surge from Ultrax Labs is a shampoo that stimulates hair growth. It has compounds of caffeine combined with ketoconazole. It is also combined with essential oils. The reason caffeine is used is that studies have shown that it can be more effective in faster growth of hair follicles compared to other ingredients that promote hair growth.
These compounds have also led to a reduction in hair loss. Apart from caffeine, the shampoo contains ketoconazole and saw palmetto.
- LIPOGAINE: This shampoo uses many natural ingredients but the key ingredients are biotin, emu oil, and castor oil. It also contains caffeine. Hair loss occurs partly due to the deficiency of zinc and biotin. Biotin is also called vitamin B7, which aids hair growth.
Castor oil is a home remedy that helps in the growth of hair. Emu oil is used for inflammation of the scalp, which acts as a deterrent to the growth of hair follicles.
- NIZORAL® A-D: This anti-dandruff shampoo contains ketoconazole, which addresses the scalp fungus that impedes hair growth, resulting in loss of hair. The anti-inflammatory properties are beneficial for the scalp. It also is effective in the eradication of dandruff. This shampoo is to be used twice every week.
- ROGAINE®: This shampoo is a 5% Minoxidil solution. If your hair loss is hereditary, this shampoo is effective. The Tricho-prime technology along with the Minoxidil helps in the stimulation of growth of hair. This product is meant only for men.
- Lipogaine for Women: With 2% Minoxidil, this shampoo is exclusively meant for hair loss in women. It is also a product that is meant for sensitive scalp, so it is meant for women only. This shampoo also contains saw palmetto, emu oil, linoleic acid, oleic acid, as well as ketoconazole.
- Women’s ROGAINE®: This shampoo is to be used once daily and has shown 25% better results in terms of hair regrowth compared to other products. The Tricho-Prime™ technology is effective in scalp penetration and reactivation of the hair follicles that have shrunk over time. Further hair loss is also prevented.
- Kirkland Signature Minoxidil 5%: This product is meant only for men. It comes in the form of a foam and can be used topically as well. It has 5% Minoxidil and is to be used on the top part of the scalp where hair generally starts to thin.
The 5% concentration of Minoxidil is stronger than the 2% alternative, and it is found in most products giving it the “extra strength” advantage.
- DrFormulas HairOmega®: This supplement has DHT Blocker with Biotin 500 mcg. There is a direct correlation between healthy hair and diet. Hair growth is promoted and hair loss is reduced with a vitamin- and mineral-rich diet. This supplement contains 41 ingredients with a lot of natural herbs and vitamins which help healthy hair growth along with nourishment of the hair roots.
It contains Biotin, saw palmetto, zinc and other natural products. It has vitamins A, B, C, and E. Moreover, it contains magnesium, green tea, selenium, and omega-3 fatty acids. It has no gluten. This dietary supplement is to be used twice daily after breakfast.
- Natrol Biotin: This Maximum Strength tablet has the highest biotin content. The presence of biotin is beneficial for skin as well. Your metabolism improves and you feel more energized. The ingredients are packed with glycerin and cellulose instead of gelatin-based soft gels.
With biotin, cell growth takes place and fatty acids are also produced. These in turn help in increasing the size of the hair follicles. Hair becomes thicker and lustrous.
- Finasteride: This is also known as Propecia. Although it has been said to have side effects relating to sexual problems in men, such instances are rare. The enzyme 5-alpha-reductase, by changing testosterone to DHT, may result in an enlarged prostate and can hair loss. Finasteride blocks this enzyme. When this product is used, testosterone levels are increased which in turn promotes hair regrowth.
Although the hair regrowth products mentioned above are effective, it is advisable to consult your doctor before taking any supplements.