Bronchial tubes carry air from and to the lungs, and when there is an inflammation in these tubes, it is known as bronchitis. People who have this problem will usually have a severe cough. This cough will lead to discolored and thick mucus. Most people who have this kind of problem may also have chest pain, wheezing, and shortness of breath.
Bronchitis is two types – acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis.
- Acute bronchitis: This kind of bronchitis will develop as a result of some respiratory infections or due to cold. You will start feeling better in just a few days, and it will not last for a very long time.
- Chronic bronchitis: This kind of bronchitis will not strike suddenly like acute bronchitis. It will develop slowly, and may last for months or even for several years. The lining of your bronchial tube will have constant inflammation because of which thick mucus will get stuck in the airways of the lungs. Due to this, the air that flows in and out of the lungs will get restricted. People may face breathing difficulties due to blocked airways. Over time, the mucus formation will worsen.
People with chronic bronchitis are likely to face other kinds of lung diseases as well. So, it is always good to start treatment for chronic bronchitis as soon as possible.
Treatment for chronic bronchitis
There is no cure or treatment for chronic bronchitis, but if you are taking medicine on time and make some lifestyle changes, you will be able to manage the symptoms of this health issue. But for this to work, you need to get an early diagnosis. When the condition gets worse, such changes are less likely to work on you.
- As a part of the treatment for chronic bronchitis, your doctor may prescribe medication that will ease the breathing process. Usually, patients need to take medicine through an inhaler, and this inhaler will pump it to their lungs. You can get in touch with your doctor to learn how and when to use the inhaler.
- Your doctor may also prescribe a medicine that can help in relaxing the muscles. With the help of this medicine, the muscles in the airway will relax, and hence you will be able to breathe normally. Usually, doctors will prescribe this medicine when you face problems like shortness of breath.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation is another process that your doctor will suggest. This program can help in improving breathing. There are different stages of this rehabilitation program like exercises, breathing strategies, and also nutritional counseling. Some hospitals will organize these programs and follow it up with counseling session to help people gain confidence in fighting these symptoms. Mental fortitude is the best way to treat any health issue.
As a part of the treatment for chronic bronchitis, you will need to make some lifestyle changes. Listed below are some simple things that anyone can do to get relief from the symptoms of chronic bronchitis.
- You can try to breathe moist and warm air from the humidifiers. It will also give you relief from coughing and reduce the formation of mucus. But one thing to keep in mind is that you should clean the humidifier on a regular basis. When it is not clean, then there is a chance that virus and bacteria could thrive in the device and create more problem for you.
- If you are a person who smokes a lot, then you should quit smoking immediately.
- If there is a lot of air pollution in your area, then do not forget to wear a mask whenever you are stepping out of the house. It is the same if you work in an industrial area, or when you are painting your house or cleaning it. You need to make sure that you do not inhale any toxic fumes.
- Physical exercise is a great option to strengthen your muscles. It will also help with easing your breathing. You should exercise at least three times a week and for at least 30 minutes. Make it as part of your routine, and you can continue doing it every day as well.
- Pursed lip breathing is also a good option for you if you suffer from chronic bronchitis. Breathe in slowly and breathe out through your mouth. This exercise is a good treatment option for those who experience shortness of breath due to chronic bronchitis.
It is always good to get started with treatment for chronic bronchitis as soon as possible to avoid any complications. However, you must seek medical consultation before proceeding with any line of treatment for chronic bronchitis.