Diabetes is often an inherited condition, but it may also be the result of faulty diet plans, emotional stress, lack of exercise, sleep deprivation, inadequate rest, and toxins in the body. Patients who have been diagnosed with diabetes usually opt for natural or herbal cures besides the conventional medications for treating this condition. However, it is important to have the right knowledge of home remedies to treat this disease.
Some remedies for treating diabetes are given below:
- Bitter gourd is known to treat hyperglycemia as it contains at least three active substances with properties that help reduce blood sugar levels.
- Fenugreek has many health benefits, one of them being controlling diabetes and improving glucose tolerance.
- Consuming fresh mango leaves is also believed to be an effective home remedy for diabetes.
- Moringa Oleifera leaves, or drumstick is effective for maintaining optimum blood sugar levels. They boost energy levels, are rich in antioxidants, and have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Foods which have a low GI or glycemic index are recommended for treating diabetes. When you include low GI foods in your diet, they can help lower blood sugar levels in the long run. Such foods include barley, oats, eggs, meat, seafood, lentils, beans, legumes, corn, yams, sweet potatoes, and non-starchy veggies.
- Apple cider vinegar can be added to salad dressings since it lowers blood glucose levels. It also influences your body’s response to glucose and boosts insulin sensitivity.
- Cinnamon has been recommended for improving insulin sensitivity and lowering insulin resistance in cells. According to reports, it can reduce blood sugar levels by almost 29%. It also slows carb breakdown during digestion, and this helps to control the rise in blood glucose levels post-meals.
- Eating more fiber in meals can lower blood sugar. The recommended fiber intake for adults with diabetes is about 30 grams a day. While there are fiber supplements, the best way to eat more fibers is to add more vegetables to your diet. Barley, for instance, is a high-protein and high-fiber grain that controls blood glucose levels. It is also easy to cook.
- It is believed that chromium deficiency may impair glucose metabolism. It is why chromium-rich foods are counted among the home remedies for preventing diabetes. But, people with kidney problems should take doctor’s advice before taking chromium supplements.
- Patients diagnosed with diabetes are usually deficient in zinc too. So, when you consume zinc supplements or foods rich in zinc like eggs, meat, dairy, etc. they help lower blood sugar levels. Zinc can also cure several complications arising from diabetes.
- Aloe vera sap has many benefits and a regular intake of this may help in secreting insulin and treating diabetes.
- Berberine is found in plants like barberry, goldenseal, Coptis, and Oregon grape root. There is evidence that suggests this compound can decrease blood sugar levels. However, this herb should not be ingested during pregnancy.
- Drinking more than four cups of tea during the day can significantly lower the risks of type 2 diabetes. While green tea prevents diabetes, black tea helps in managing the condition.